Cream Cream

I really enjoy this style of photo-animation. Like others have said, the twist was unexpected. While the final message was an important one, I am left wishing it wasn't quite so on the nose.

Anyways, great stuff!

Tobey Maguire Tobey Maguire

Music is stellar as usual. The way the lyrics are sung has improved over past collabs, I think.

Animations are very good... in places. The "as I work the spoon" is all frame-by-frame and looks awesome, along with the recurring dream loop animation. Most of the other cream eating animations don't look very good and come off lazy with the excessive tweening. Cream should be fluid, instead it's just kind of stuck and looks like it hasn't moved when it loops.

I'm... just going to be a complete asshole here. My biggest gripe is that Tobey Maguire looks nothing like Tobey Maguire. It threw me and I had to go look him up just be sure. You've got his jaw, eyes and lips down, but his nose is completely wrong. Toby has a wider, rounder nose and it's positioned a bit higher, whereas your drawing has it narrow, hooked and a bit too far down so that it's shrinking the space between his upper lip. Toby has a distinct chin cleft. His smile creases his cheeks pretty hard. And from a side profile, you've given him a massive overbite and his mouth is way to high (bathtube shot).

In the last shot, when "you" give Tobey the bowl, your character's mouth is drawn too far to the left. It should be centered down the line of the face, but it is instead residing under the left eye. You could chalk this up to style, but it's considerably different than the rest of the face poses in the toon. If I had to wager, based on my extensive love of Sexual-Lobster cartoons, i'd guess this is a recycled older drawing, as your newer ones feature harder and more narrow facial features... perhaps consistent with why Tobey looks so wrong.

I made a bunch of cartoons back in the early 2000's and I can just feel the time and energy, especially the frame-by-frames and the background art... I can't imagine how much work it is putting together these catchy and hilarious songs. There's not an ounce of hate in me, Chris, when I say your drawing have always been inconsistent... likely something you labor over and then just tween most of the time (which is fine!) but when it comes time to draw something outside your comfort zone, we get one of these situations. I mean, i'm just looking at Fernado on the thumbnails on the left <--- side bar here, and in Pleasure Island vs Quest of the manwhore... looks like it was drawn by two different people. They are both good! They're just not consistent.

This is why I don't write reviews. I just tear into people and it's... ugh, it's a fun cartoon and I will probably always look forward to your stuff, Chris. But this really stuck out to me and detracted from my enjoyment and I figure since no one else is saying it I would. I hate myself!

Final Form Final Form

Your musical talent is easily one of those things that pushes your content way above the rest, and I can't help but feel sorry for animators whom may not be aided by such a skill. The subject and animation here are excellent and everything i'd expect.

The lyrics, while funny, are fairly jarring and as a musician i'm sure you know this. Maybe it can't be helped since these are "fan lyrics". I'm sympathetic because I know it's more work than I can know. The end result though, with both of these fan-lyric submissions, is an audio piece that isn't going to stand the test of time as well as, say, a Fernando music video.

"Some day I'll leave this ruined body and achieve my final form." It's been crammed in there so forcefully.

But it was entertaining! I enjoy your work today as much as I did 10 years ago, and I can't say that for most Newgrounds startup artists. I wouldn't want to discourage you from interacting with your (hardcore?) fans, but just as a musical piece I wonder if these lyrics couldn't be modified a tad so we get something that we'll look back on fondly in another 10 years. Maybe it can't be done, but I thought it'd be worth sharing those feelings.

Great work as always, and best of luck!

Sexual-Lobster responds:

thanks. yeh, placing the lyrics is definitely a challenge with this method.

I'm Dead Inside She Said I'm Dead Inside She Said

I really like it.

The next step oughtta to be to flesh out the lyrics a little more. She's dead inside... why? "I can't believe anything from you" suggests relationship struggles, so I want to hear more and understand what's gone wrong.

I don't know much about guitar playing, but it sounds good!

Sketch Figure 1 Sketch Figure 1

It's definately cool, i'm impressed you didn't have any kind of framework beforehand!

PoisonHeart responds:

thanks, Ray! i'm trying to be less lazy about that.

Eleanor from Sanguine 2 Eleanor from Sanguine 2

There are many ways to gauge the success of my games, but none compare to inspiring someone enough to invest time into creating their own fan art. Nothing else moves me to emotion.

Thank you Daria!